As provided by the American Dance Therapy Association:
What is Alternate Route Training for the R-DMT?
The Alternate Route is a self-directed course of study, with several different options for fulfilling R-DMT requirements. Specific training requirements include: 1) having or acquiring a masters degree from an accredited academic institution, 2) graduate level psychology-related course work, 3) dance/movement therapy coursework, 4) fieldwork, and 5) internship. (See details of specific requirements using the Handbook link below.) The ADTA and the Dance/Movement Therapy Certification Board, recognizes the Alternate Route as a viable path to dance/movement therapy registration.
The following should be noted by all students pursuing the R-DMT via the Alternate Route:
- The student should inform the DMTCB of the date on which they began their first dance/ movement therapy course. Use the following form: alternate-route-intention-form. The form is to be sent to the ADTA office: email@example.com.
- Dance/Movement Therapy Certification Board R-DMT Handbook
- Alternate Route Dance/Movement Therapy courses do not have to be taken within an academic institution. However all courses must either be pre-approved or offered through an approved Dance/Movement Therapy program. Only approved Alternate Route courses are listed in the Alternate Route Current Course Calendar.
- All Alternate Route courses not offered through ADTA approved academic programs must be pre-approved by the Subcommittee for the Approval of Alternate Route Courses (Refer to the R-DMT Student Handbook for specific exceptions.) Pre-Approved courses are automatically accepted when the candidate submits their R-DMT application. Courses taken prior to March 15, 2013 do not require pre-approval but are not automatically accepted by the DMT-Credentials Board.
- Approval of Alternate Route courses is done by the ADTA Subcommittee on the Approval of Alternate Route Courses, and is sought by the teacher of the course.
- If you are using courses taken prior to March 15, 2013 toward your R –DMT application, you must comply with the requirements for documenting in the R-DMT Student Handbook.
- Applicants are advised to consider the requirements for licensure as a mental health practitioner in their state of residence.