Embodied Neurobiology Course Agreements
Embodied Neurobiology classes engage experiential process as a primary learning method. Experiential training engages a range of physiological and emotional states (such as deep relaxation, emotional processing, and energetic movement). The following agreements are requested from each student to promote an environment of emotional safety for the whole group. Please read these carefully and we will take time to discuss them and consider any questions you might have.
- Maintaining the integrity of the time and space. To facilitate the continuity needed for experiential process please be on time, and attend all sessions. If you cannot attend a session, be in communication with the instructor, so they can inform the group.
- Responsibility to one’s own emotional and psychological process.
- Experiential training can be evocative, drawing out memories and material from the psyche at a very deep level. All participants need to have participated in their own therapy (currently and/or in the past), and have current psychological supports available. The training may bring up feelings and material from ones’ personal history that requires additional support to be integrated. Keep the facilitator informed if you are having a difficult time, and she can help you identify additional support if needed.
- Choice. You always have the options in experiential training to participate to whatever level you are comfortable with. Some exercises involve touch, and others involve personal sharing. You may always choose to journal for yourself or observe the process from the perspective of a witness instead of direct involvement.
- When offering feedback to group members after experientials, practice speaking from the subjective perspective (i.e. I experienced sadness when I saw your movement vs. your movement was sad). This helps to create a fuller sense of emotional safety for each member.
- Photographs may be taken by the instructor periodically to document the class process throughout the sessions. Any further use of images will not be authorized unless participant permission is granted in writing.
- Initial payment is due upon registration and full payment is due prior to the class start.
Please complete the following fields to confirm your understanding of these agreements.